Use your powers for good!
One Degree is revolutionizing the way people connect to nonprofit and social services. We’re causing a paradigm shift and fundamental change in the way that people use and approach nonprofit organizations. Our goal is to eradicate poverty, and we’re starting right in the heart of San Francisco.
We are an award-winning organization — recognized by SXSW, the Huffington Post, and Echoing Green, a premiere seed-funder of non-profit startups — with plans for aggressive nationwide expansion. You will have the opportunity to work with an incredibly motivated team, volunteers and top-notch advisors.
One Degree’s advisors include leaders in the for-profit and non-profit sectors, along with members of faculty at Harvard University and UC Berkeley. As one of our first few employees, you will help lay the foundations on which One Degree will stand in the years to come.
In addition to our do-gooder mission, deep down inside One Degree is a tech company that is focused on providing smart solutions to tough problems that have plagued our social safety net.
Want to be part of a fast-growing social movement with a mission to eradicate poverty? Join us!
Current Job Opening: Chief Technology Officer
We are scouring the country for an intelligent, client focused, entrepreneurial Chief Technology Officer (CTO) who, in addition to not taking themselves too seriously, is passionate about empowering all low-income families. The CTO’s main responsibility will be to create the vision that makes our Yelp for nonprofits a reality by using their skills in product development and engineering. Join us and create powerful tools for those who need them most. We are passionate about efficient code and care deeply about beautiful design.
What you need to know:
As our founding CTO you will…
- set the vision for our technology
- revolutionize the social sector with a game changing product
- partner with and guide the CEO to prepare the organization for rapid growth
- lead platform selection and technical design of our website
- see and articulate the big picture (in graphic detail)
- lead a team of contract software engineers, designers and other software developers
When we look at your portfolio, we’ll know you…
- favor simplicity in the things you create
- demonstrate a taste for good design, the resourcefulness to work with designers to get it, and the ability to implement it
- are proficient across several overlapping but distinct programming disciplines, including:
- Backend web development (possibly with Ruby, Python, or Java)
- Domain modeling and data persistence (possibly with MySQL, PostgreSQL, or MongoDB)
- Server administration
- have created products that leave room for enhancement in the future
You’re the ideal candidate if you…
- have enthusiasm for using technology to be a lever for equity and justice
- are ready to take your talents and skills out of the for-profit arena and use them to change the way social services are measured, funded, and ultimately delivered
- understand the technical side of things, but your real passion is in product development and design
- have strong project management and communication skills
- are a self-starter that can work quickly and efficiently
- love the thought of connecting low-income families to community resources and putting them in the driver seat of social change
To apply, send your resume, code samples, and relevant links to karla [at] 1deg.org; use “Let’s fight poverty!” as the subject line.
Current Internship Openings
There are no internship openings currently available at One Degree. For general application, please send your resume and statement of intent to info [at] 1deg.org.